Did You Buy A Home In Coconut Grove Last Year?
If you purchased a home in 2010 then now is the time to file for your 2011 homestead exemption (filing period ends March 1st).
In order to qualify for the Homestead Exemption you must have met the following criteria as of January 1:
- Be a U.S. citizen or legal resident
- Own the property (i.e., have legal or equitable title)
- Occupy the property as his/her permanent residence (to the exclusion of all others).
- Only those qualified persons listed on the exemption application will receive the exemption benefits.
- If the property is held jointly by husband and wife, either party may apply in person for the homestead exemption.